Thursday, October 31, 2013

Graduation is on the Horizon

Every now and then, I come across a photo I just can't get right.  That's what happened with this picture (which I've been working on for a few days off and on).  Nothing seemed to click on it.  The angles were wrong.  The shadowing was problematic.  I almost just deleted it in disgust.  The only reason I didn't is because I had a great caption planned for it.
I'm glad that I didn't abandon it.  The picture isn't perfect (I'm still not super happy with it), but I think it's serviceable.  And I really like the caption/picture combination.  I've said before that I like the idea of a fraternity feminizing some pledges, but I'd like to a little further than that.
First, I'm sure you've all noticed that I like the idea of these sissies being accepted socially and culturally.  Many of my captions (the Omar Bell Universe, role reversal, etc.) focus on the inner struggle for these boys rather than some outside influence telling them that what they are is wrong.  I know why I like this idea.  Inner struggle is far more interesting (and inescapable) than a person trying to adhere to cultural norms.  If (in these alternate realities) a sissy is accepted, the only real thing holding them back (or propelling them down any particular road) is their own feelings.  And I like to explore that.  In addition, I wish everyone was accepted for who they are.  I know it's a pipe dream; prejudice and bigotry aren't going anywhere.  But they're my captions, and I'll see the worlds through rose-colored glasses if I want to.
Second, I like that everyone gets something.  The sissies get a leg up in terms of networking and job prospects.  The fraternity brothers get, well, the sissies.  And it's all consensual.  I like that they make the choice, and reap the benefits of that decision.
I know you're probably tired of reading this, and I'm probably rambling so I'll just cut this off here.